Need help navigating the world of citation management software? Use the links above and the frequently asked questions below to learn a little more about four of the most popular options.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is citation management software?
- Citation management software, also known as reference management software, is a computer program that helps researchers and students:
- Collect and organize references from article databases
- Format in-text citations, and generate bibliographies in your style of choice (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
- In addition to these main functions, many citation managers also help you to:
- Compile and organize PDFs
- Share citations and collaborate with colleagues
Where do I get citation management software?
- Depending on the type of citation management software you choose, it will be web-based, available via download, or installed from a DVD/CD.
How much does citation management software cost?
- Costs vary widely. Many are free, some are “freemium” meaning basic functionality is free but additional features cost extra. Still others are available for either a flat fee or annual subscription which can range from $50 to $300.
Which citation management software should I choose?
- With so many options, the choice is yours! Some important points to consider are:
- How much do you want to pay?
- Are you willing to pay for an annual subscription or potential future upgrades?
- Do you want to access the software from different computers?
- Do you want the ability to use the software without an internet connection?
- How many citations or PDFs are you planning to store?
How do I learn how to use my citation management software?
- Each software will have tutorials and guides to help you learn your new product, and some will have additional customer support services. There is also a wealth of resources online to help you troubleshoot any potential problems.
Learn more about the four most popular citation management software options using the links above, or compare all of the options here.